Compared to mineral gemstones, and precious metals, pearls are relatively soft. Therefore, it is important to take special care of pearls to ensure they will remain lustrous and beautiful for generations to come. Cosmetics, perfume and hair spray all contain chemicals that can dull the luster of a pearl over extended periods of time. Even acids contained in body oils and perspiration can dull the luster in the same way.
Dos and Don'ts of pearl care:
- Avoid exposing pearls to cosmetics, hair sprays, perfumes and other chemicals. Always put pearls on after finishing all grooming.
- Avoid extended contact with skin on a hot day.
- Do not wear pearls into a hot bath or shower. Extended exposure to high temperature will diminish the luster of the pearls.
- Wipe pearls with a soft non-abrasive piece of cloth after each use.
- Occasionally gently wipe the pearls with a wet soft towel.
- Store pearls in a soft silky container with a silk satin lining. Avoid contact with other hard jewelry to avoid scratching the pearl surface. All HMH Pearls come with a satin and silk pouch for safekeeping.
About Us | Freshwater Pearls